Valencia. Porta de la Mar
From the South-East of the garden to the garden of Glorieta adjoins a square with a circular lawn in the center, on which the Sea gate (Porta de la Mar on the map) is located. The square, accordingly, is called the Plaza de La Porta de La Mar (Plaça de la Porta de la Mar). Originally, this area was part of the garden, where four busy highways converged. In 1925, the site was cut off from the garden for the construction of a roundabout.
In 1946, an arch was built on the circular lawn in memory of those who died in the Civil war. Architect Javier Goerlich Lleu created an exact replica of the old city gate, built in 1801. The gate was part of the city wall and led to the city from the Royal bridge (Puente del Real) and was also called the Royal (Porta del Real). In 1868, the city walls that held back the development of the city were demolished, and the Royal gate, which hindered traffic, was also demolished.
The Central arch is surmounted by the coat of arms of Valencia, the main element of which is a bat. On the coat of arms of Valencia, the winged creature appeared in 1503, replacing the dragon. Legend has it that a bat landed on the helmet of the king of Aragon, Jaime I the Conqueror, during the siege of Valencia, which was interpreted at that time as a warning sign of danger and a requirement to exercise caution. In fact, this is just a legend, since the bat is present in the heraldry of other Mediterranean cities of the Aragonese Kingdom, which included Valencia, Catalonia and the Bolearic Islands. Under the coat of arms was a plaque with the inscription " El Senado Valenciano egidiu este monumento a Francisco Franco Bahamonde regidor de las Esrasas para perpetuar la memoria del que ofreciu su vida por Dios y por la Patria." - "the Council of Valencia erected this monument to the ruler of Spain Francisco Franco Bamond and those who gave their lives to God and the country", which was erased after the establishment of democracy in Spain.
The corners of the gate are decorated with sculptures in the Imperial-militaristic spirit.
In the 90s of the 20th century, a metro station was being built on the square, the gates were carefully disassembled, and upon completion of the construction site was recreated in its former form.