Silja Galaxy ferry in the Strait of Lidingö
Finally, our ferry left the port of Stockholm's Frihamnen port astern.
Bridge Hidingebro (Lidingöbron). Lidingö farm island) he was the main supplier of dairy products to the markets of Stockholm. The first bridge connected the island with the city in 1803. It was a pontoon bridge 800 meters long and 7 wide, at that time one of the longest in Europe. The spring break of the ice caused serious damage to the bridge every year,and it only served for 8 years. In the 80s of the 19th century, another bridge was built, which this time was a sliding bridge for passing ships. But this bridge was constantly experiencing the movement of ice. The capital bridge, independent of the ice channel, was built only in 1925. In 1971, a second line was extended parallel to it, as the old one could no longer cope with the flow of traffic. The length of the new bridge is 997 meters, and the width of the six-lane roadway is 24 meters. On the old bridge, rails were laid and the tram that runs from the Rposten station of the Stockholm metro was launched.
Residential areas of the island Lidingö. Starting from the 16th century, the island was agricultural, then the inhabitants of Stockholm began to build dachas on its shores, and by 1926 the dacha village received the status of a city. Now it is a "sleeping" satellite city of Stockholm.