Sculptures by Carmelo Capello, Ragusa
The upper floor of the Palazzo Zacco is dedicated to the work of the famous avant-garde sculptor Carmelo Capello.
Born in Ragusa in 1912, Capello moved to Rome at the age of 17, where he worked for about a year in the Studio of Ettore Colla, a leading Italian abstract artist. In the thirties, he studied at the Higher school of applied art in Milan and at the Institute of industrial art in Monza. He made his debut as a sculptor in 1937.
During his studies, Capello became an adherent of the Vladimir Tatlin school (Soviet constructivism).
Later, imbued with the ideas of Konstantin Brancusi, Antoine Pevsner and Naum Gabo.
In 1994, Capello presented his native city with a collection of sculptures, which can be viewed for free.