Logrono. The stone bridge (Puente de Piedra)
The bridge used by pilgrims going to Santiago de Compostela to cross the Ebro river is first mentioned in the Charter of the city of logroño, adopted in 1095. The medieval historian Fernando Albia de Castro in 1633 described this structure as follows: length 716 Varas, 12 arches with a span of 48 Varas and a width of 18. Vara kastilkaya is 83 cm, respectively, the length of the bridge was about 600 meters, width 14, spans of 40 meters.
The bridge had two towers at the entrance and one in the middle part, which provided the lift of a wooden bridge that blocked one of the spans. The tower and depicted on the coat of arms of logroño.
The bridge was named after Saint Juan de Ortega, a monk, road Builder and architect (patron Saint of construction professionals). Legends attribute the construction of this bridge to the monk, but the latter lived in the 11-12 century, a hundred years later than the first mention of the construction. Probably, under the guidance of the Saint, one of the many reconstructions of the bridge was carried out. The bridge often suffered from flooding, in particular, in 1775, the water element washed away one of the towers, and the bridge got its name during the Carlite wars - in 1835, one of the spans was destroyed (replaced with a wooden one), in 1850, as a result of combat actions, two other towers were destroyed. Finally, the flood of 1871 brought down 3 arched spans, as a result, the old bridge was decided to demolish. In August 1880, a floating bridge with a length of 68 meters was built for the army crossing, but on September 1, a tragedy occurred, in which more than 90 soldiers died. At the crossing of the 23rd infantry regiment, the bridge overturned due to uneven loading. Although the water level at this time was much lower than human height, there was a panic, which led to such disastrous consequences. The new bridge was built in 1882 by Fermín Manso de Zúñiga. The opening of the bridge took place on July 11, 1884 and was timed to coincide with the feast of St. Barnabas. The bridge has 7 arches with a span of 21.5 to 31.5 meters, a total length of 198 meters. In 1917, the bridge was reconstructed, as a result of which the roadway took up the entire width, and concrete platforms were made for pedestrians-canopies on the sides.
In 1917, the bridge was reconstructed, as a result of which the roadway took up the entire width, and concrete platforms were made for pedestrians-canopies on the sides. In the 21st century, cast-iron railings of the bridge of steel have become a place for locks that seal the bonds of love.
The bridge offers views of the Ebro valley and a waterworks with a dam and a small power station.
On the right Bank, you can see the new Bullring (Plaza de Toros de La Ribera), built in 2001.