Alderdi Eder Park, San Sebastián
The park Jardines de Alderdi Eder is located along the Eastern shore of La Concha Bay in front of the city hall. Translated from the Basque language "Alderdi Eder", which means "Beautiful place".
In the second half of the 19th century, San Sebastian became a popular resort first for the Spanish, and then for the European nobility. With the beginning "Beautiful era" in the city began and architectural transformations.
In 1880, a recreation and entertainment Park was built on the site of a field that was used for military garrison drill.
The creation of the Park was led by the famous French landscape designer Pierre Ducas. The layout is based on alleys where one hundred tamarind trees were planted.
On the territory of the Park there was a theater, a circus, a bicycle court. Now only the carousel decorated in the spirit of that era reminds of it.
The park is popular at any time of the year for both tourists and locals. In summer, tamarinds provide shade and coolness, in winter their bare branches do not interfere with basking in the sun.
The Park is surrounded by buildings that can be seen as a classic Spanish architecture, and Parisian Art Nouveau.