Malaga. Church of St. John the Baptist (Iglesia de San Juan Bautista)
The parish of San Juan Batista was one of the first four parishes founded after the capture of Malaga by the Catholic kings (Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragon) in 1487. Under construction, the block where the shacks of the Arab poor were located was demolished.
The original Church had a single nave with side gallery (collateral) in the Gothic style with Mudejar elements. In 1543, the tower was built.
However, after a decade, the Church ceased to accommodate all parishioners and on the initiative of Bishop Bernardo Manrique in 1554, large-scale works on the expansion of the Church began. Under the leadership of the Cathedral master Builder Diego de Vergara, the original nave was dismantled, and a new, wider one was erected according to the project of the architect Pedro Diaz de Palacios, as well as another collaterale was added, the work was completed by 1620.
Во время землетрясение 1680 года рухнула башня, ее восстановили к 1732 году. Портик новой башни под полукруглой аркой образовал еще один портал храма.
в 1776 году колокольня надстроена и получила еще один ярус.
The interior paintings and geometric ornaments of the facade date back to 1732. For two and a half centuries, only some of the decor remained fragments, in 1999 the Church was renovated and returned to its appearance of the 18th century.
May 12, 1931, entered into history as "the day of the burning of the monasteries" in the afternoon a crowd of rioters broke into the Church of San Juan, which was destroyed carved wooden sculptures with polychrome painting of the seventeenth century Granada school, painting of the virgin of the rosary, attributed to Murillo, five religious paintings of the school of valdés, Lila, great cross for processions, decorated with turtle bone and the silver of the 18th century, embroidered banner of the 18th century. Part of the parish archive, founded in 1520, was destroyed in the fire.
After the defeat of the Republic, the interiors were partially restored, but in 1980 a fire in the Vozdvizheniya chapel destroyed the wooden sculptures of the 18th century that survived the revolution.