San Fernando orphanage (Museum of Madrid History)
At the very end of the pedestrian section of calle Fuencarral is one of Madrid's masterpieces of Baroque architecture - the building of the Royal shelter of Ave Maria and San Fernando (Real Hospicio del Ave María y San Fernando on the map).
The shelter for providing medical assistance to the poor was founded in 1673 on the initiative of the priest Simón de Rojas (beatified in 1988), the first reception began in the house belonging to the priest Pedro fernández Navarrete.
A year later, with the support of Queen Maranna of Austria (Mariana de Austria, second wife of Felipe IV), several houses were transferred to the orphanage and a chapel was built.
The era of Felipe V's reign is marked by economic growth, which led to the beginning of urban planning in Madrid. In 1721, it was decided to demolish the structures of the orphanage, which were in a deplorable state, and the architect Pedro de Ribera (Pedro de Ribera) was entrusted with the construction of a new building of the orphanage. The works were completed in 1726.
The main portal of the building is considered one of the most representative works of Spanish civil Baroque.
In 1919, the building was declared a historical art monument, and three years later the orphanage was closed. In 1926, at the initiative of the Spanish society of friends of art, the Royal Academy of fine arts of San Fernando organized an exhibition "Old Madrid" in an empty room, and in 1929 the city Council decided to create a municipal Museum. The restoration of the building was entrusted to the architect Luis Belido. The last reconstruction started in 2002 and was completed in 2006. Under the direction of architect Juan Rodriguez, the building took on a historic appearance.
Expositions of the Museum tell about the history of Madrid from the time of its Foundation to the present. Now in the Museum you can see layouts and plans of city blocks of different eras, collections of paintings, sculptures, furniture, porcelain and silver. Significant exhibits are "Allegory of the city of Madrid" by Francisco Goya, "Madonna and child on the throne" by Pedro berruguete. In the chapel, which has been preserved since the Foundation of the orphanage, you can see the "Madonna of San Fernadno" by Luca Giordano.
The Museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 9: 30 to 20: 00, admission is free.