Buen Retiro Park. Fernand Nunes Alley
Let's start walking in the Park at the Puerto de Madrid gate on Alcala Avenue.
Here begins the Paseo Fernán Núñez, which runs through the Eastern part of the Park.
Turning right from the gate to the left, we will see a reservoir, and beyond it a stone ridge with caves.
Going around it we will find a beautiful pavilion decorated with ceramics, called" Artificial mountain " (Montaña Artificial on the map).
Nearby is another small pond with a" Fish house " (La Casita del Pescador) in the center.
On the banks of the river, ducks bask on the grass.
And on the small Islands, geese clean their feathers.
Behind the Fish house, you can see the ruins of the San Isidoro chapel. The Church was built in the middle ages in Avila, by the end of the 19th century, it became dilapidated and it was condemned to demolition. However, emiliano Rotondo Nicolau, an engineer, businessman and Amateur archaeologist, became interested in the structure, he bought the wreck and carefully dismantled the most preserved elements. The remains of the ancient Church he sold to the Madrid archaeological Museum, from where they were transferred to Retiro Park in 1897.
On the Avenue El Salvador (on the map) there is a monument to Francisco José Buenaventura de Paula Martí y Mora (1761-1827), engraver, cryptographer and stenographer, as well as a playwright, also known as the inventor of the fountain pen.
Behind the monument is the Plaza de Panamá with a fountain,
Which is surrounded by rose bushes.
Here we see the monument (on the map) to the Panamanian politician of Colombian origin, Arosemena Justo (Justo Arosemena Quesada, 1817-1896). Justo dedicated his life to fighting for the independence of Colombia from Panama is considered the "father of the nation".