Church of Saint Louis of France (Igreja de São Luís dos Franceses)
A block north of Largo São Domingos, on Rua das Portas de Santo Antão, in front of the Colosseum Theater, is a church named after King Louis IX of France, known as Saint Louis of France (Igreja de São Luís dos Franceses). In 1552, the king founded a parish for Catholics of the French community of Lisbon and donated his own funds for the construction of the church. However, the construction was delayed for almost 90 years, the church was opened only in 1662.
During the Great Earthquake of 1755, the church suffered significant damage, mainly from a fire that completely destroyed the interiors. The Genoese sculptor Pasquale Bocardo was invited to restore them, so now we can see three magnificent marble altars of his work.
In 1882, the church became the property of the French state, at the expense of which the organ was installed. Three rooms on the top floor were converted into a hospital for poor parishioners, who were cared for by the monks of the Confraria do Bem-aventurado São Luis. Currently, this hospital is located in the Bairro Alto area.
To the right of the church, the steps of San Luis Beco de São Luís da Pena begin, leading to the Convento da Encarnação and the Hospital de São José.
The church can be visited daily, except Sundays from 9:00 to 13:00, Mass at 12:30. On Sundays, the church is open only for Mass in French, which starts at 11:00.