South Battery Kustaanmiekka, Suomenlinna
In 1855, during the Crimean war, Sveaborg was attacked by a squadron of the Anglo-French fleet. On August 9, the enemy fleet, which approached the city of Sveaaborg, consisted of 10 ships of the line, 7 sailing and steam frigates, 2 corvettes, a brig, four vessels of "special design", 16 bombards, 25 gunboats, 2 yachts and 3 transports.
As a result of a two-day artillery battle, the squadron lost several mortar ships and was forced to lift the siege and leave without causing significant damage to the fortress, except for a few small fires. Losses of the Russian garrison were: 44 men of lower ranks, 5 officers were killed. About 130 people were injured and concussed.
After the Crimean war, the fortress was reconstructed, new fortifications and artillery positions were built, and more modern guns were installed.
11-inch gun of the sample of 1867 on the machine of Semenov.