The Markushaus campus is located at the end of Kapuzinerstraße, three blocks north of the Old Town Hall (on the map). Otto-Friedrich-Universität of Bamberg, one of the oldest universities in Germany, was founded in 1647 by Prince-Bishop Otto Veit von Salzburg. At first, the educational institution was called the "Bamberg Academy" and specialized in church disciplines. The first building of the Academy was a former slaughterhouse. A century later, with the opening of the faculties of theology, Philosophy, Law and Medicine, the academy received the status of a university.
The university is named after its founder and successor, Friedrich Karl von Schoenborn, who patronized the institution. Currently, students of the university study regional studies, including Oriental and Slavic studies, Roman and Medieval archaeology, sociology, political science, and psychology. The University is also the main business school in Bavaria, producing specialists in economics, management and applied computer science. Many faculties occupy historic buildings in the old town and are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Faculty of Humanities occupies a massive building with a high pediment, built in 1906 as a women's clinic run by the famous physician Adalbert Friedrich Markus (1753-1816).
Dr. Markus was the organizer of the first public hospital and midwifery school in Bamberg. The area in front of the clinic was named after him-Markusplatz.
To the right of the Faculty of Humanities is an old three-story house with walls decorated in sgraphito technique, where the Evangelical Student Community of Bamberg is located.
The house is named after the famous theologian Karl Steinbauer Haus, who was the most active representative of the Lutheran Church, who opposed the use of Christianity in Nazi ideology.