Argoksen talo or Wulffin kulman, Helsinki
The corner house adjacent to the Stockmann Department store was built in 1897 by architect Niels Johan Settergren. This residential building, named "Argos" (Argoksen talo) is the first example of art Nouveau in Finland, its prototype was the House of Bünsowin (Bünsowin talosta) in Stockholm.
The first floor of the newly built house was occupied by Wulff's stationery store, the name "Argos"was quickly forgotten and Helsinki residents began to call the house "Wulffin kulman" (Corner of Wulff). The store operated here until 1965, when it moved to a new building on Mannerheim Avenue.
Since the end of the 19th century, Stockmann's company gradually bought out buildings in the center of Helsinki, intending to get a whole block of property for the construction of a new Department store building.Argos, purchased in 1919, was among the buildings that were doomed to demolition. But the project of the brothers Walter and Ivor Thome was prevented by the Finnish Civil war, in which both architects were killed. The Department store was built only in 1930 according to the project of Sigurd Frosterus, which also provided for the demolition of the Argus during the construction of the second stage of the Department store, but this was never implemented. The need to expand retail space appeared only in the 80s, and it was decided to rebuild only the inner part of the "Argos", preserving the historical appearance of the facades.