Central market (Mercat central)
On the corosini square (plaça Corsini) there is a modernist building of the Central market (Mercat central on the map) Tarragona, built in 1915 by Josep Pujol (Josep M. Pujol de Barberà, Pujol senior).
At the beginning of the 20th century, the population of Tarragona increased significantly, and the lower, industrial part of the city was actively built up. Residents of the new quarters were not quite comfortable using the small market located in the Old (upper) city, so in 1906 the municipality decided to build a large new building, which was also planned to collect a lot of scattered shops scattered throughout the city.
The building, with a metal frame and brick walls, has three bays and entrance arches on each side, decorated with the coat of arms of Tarragona. On February 10, 1901, the first football match in the history of Tarragona took place in the Corsini square in front of the main entrance of the market, as described by a plaque erected on the occasion of the centenary of this event. Currently, the market is undergoing reconstruction. In addition to putting the historic building in order, it is planned to expand the retail space at the expense of an underground supermarket.
During the renovation, the market rows fit into such a fun temporary space, the walls of which are decorated with scenes from the life of the old market, Paintings made by the famous master of wall painting Carles Arola.